Philly DVD/CD? Maybe. PJ on MLB2K10 Soundtrack? Yes!

by Kathy Davis on February 17, 2010

Spectrum DVD/CD? Could the rumors of an audio/video release of  the last night of Pearl Jam’s 4-show stint at the Wachovia Spectrum in October 2009 be true?  The lovely Fleur from the Bugs Mailing List posted this juicy little tidbit of info, firmly in the “overheard” category but with merit nonetheless (the post was entitled “completely uncofirmed but in any event interesting”):

A friend who lives in Philly has told me that yesterday she heard on the radio that the PJ show from 31 October will be available as a CD/DVD!!

Now that particular night was indeed an epic show since it was the last ever at the Spectrum, though a compilation of all the other nights might be interesting as well. (You remember the band played there October 27, 28, 30 & 31).  Just to give the October 31st rumor a little more merit, about three weeks after that last show,  in the “fanviews” section of the official Pearl Jam Message Board, member Stupid Bunny posted this:

by and by the way, when i picked up my tickets for the Halloween show at the Spectrum, i saw a sign posted on the inside of the front doors stating that they were filming the show that night;(i wish i would have taken a picture of this posting for proof)…i also had a non-news camera in my face for a moment inside right before PJ played…i don’t know if any of this adds up to the rumours of a DVD release of the show, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed…

Fingers crossed, ears to ground, eyes open everyone!

photo courtesy wikimedia

image courtesy wikimedia

PJ MLK2K10:  That’s a lot of letters!  And no rumor here – the officially licensed Major League Baseball video game, MLB2K10 features Pearl Jam’s “The Fixer” on it’s soundtrack!  The game from 2K Sports, features Tampa Bay Ray’s third baseman Evan Longoria, and apparently the man himself approves.

“I couldn’t have put together a better soundtrack that reflects the spirit of baseball fans if I created it myself,” said Evan Longoria, All-Star third baseman for the Tampa Bay Rays® and cover athlete for Major League Baseball 2K10. “Every game needs a killer soundtrack, and that’s what we definitely have in Major League Baseball 2K10.”

According to Games Press, The Fixer is exclusive to the XBox and Playstation3 platforms only, as it’s mention in the article was asterisked with this:

*Exclusive for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, Major League Baseball 2K10 is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and will be available on March 2, 2010. More information on the game is available here, and you can listen to all tracks from the soundtrack here.

Complete track listing:

• Black Crowes “Go Faster”

• Black Keys “Your Touch”

• Black Sheep “The Choice is Yours”

• Boss Martians “Hey Hey Yeah Yeah”

• Cage the Elephant “Judas”

• Daughtry “Every Time You Turn Around”

• Hotel St. George “It’s the Blues”

• Iggy Pop “Lust for Life”

• Jet “Start the Show”

• LCD Soundsystem “Time to Get Away”

• Pearl Jam “The Fixer”

• Phoenix “Lisztomania”

• Ryan Adams “Magick”

• Social Distortion “Bad Luck”

• Tantric “Down and Out”

• The Sugarhill Gang “Rappers Delight”

Kathy Davis ( Twitter: @CrookedArm23 )
A Bay-Area based entrepreneur, co-editor Kathy conceives and writes her share of TFT’s articles and sections. She was co-editor/co-founder of one of the first Pearl Jam fanzines "Footsteps" (1992-1997). Kathy’s first Pearl Jam show was at the Bridge School Benefit on November 1, 1992.

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

pjfan February 17, 2010 at 1:48 pm

The signs about filming the show were also posted on October 30th.

NY February 17, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Regarding Philly, I was at nights 1 and 3 and there were cameras and signs visable at those shows as well. This is not news but more rumor mongering. I think we can expecting something on the Philly shows. Let’s wait for the band to tell us what it is.

Caro February 17, 2010 at 2:02 pm

With the exception of, say, Daughtry, the soundtrack looks pretty good! PJ, Black Keys, Social D? Niceeeee.

Ana February 17, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Those taping signs are at EVERY show. Is there any proof other than someone heard it on a radio station?

bob February 17, 2010 at 3:23 pm

didnt everyone see the man dressed in all black (including hoodie) filming each show that nite? but they usually film all their shows…so…what’s the news?

im hoping for a DVD compilation of all nites (or the last could be fine) and a box set of all four shows.

Sasho February 17, 2010 at 3:52 pm

If its true – great news!!

Kathy Davis February 17, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Hey peeps – I was not meaning to rumor monger, just passing on what someone heard on a radio station, trying to help the community keep eyes and ears open as we always do! No harm meant. :) It is sure true that at least 2 cameras are usually at every PJ show, I think usually only signs are posted when it’s something that will eventually be released to the public or if that venue has a policy. But I could be wrong. Nice to know it was on the 30th too, a compilation of all shows would be super nice.

SOLAT319 February 17, 2010 at 8:35 pm

uhm…he wasn’t the only one who saw that sign. Each and every person who’s been to the 4-day stint saw those signs. There wasn’t just one either.

Melbourneflower February 18, 2010 at 5:33 am

+1 to what Kathy said. This was a report of a statement made on Philly radio which I thought may be of interest to the PJ community, nothing more. No rumour mongering here! :)

demetrios February 18, 2010 at 8:34 am

If the Halloween show get’s released on DVD, let’s hope it’s also available in HD on Bluray! :)

CranMalReign February 18, 2010 at 8:57 am

Eh… I’ve seen those signs at the Mellon in Pittsburgh. Anyone have a copy of that official DVD? I must have missed its release.

$10 says the Philly DJ (Matt Cord, perhaps?) read the rumors on the message pit or red mosquito or something. Every other thread is about how everyone just *assumes* there’s going to be a DVD. They’ve regurjitated that kind of stuff from the forums before.

Zidane February 19, 2010 at 4:05 pm

What I find interesting is that you can’t buy any of the Philly shows bootleg in the Good section. I think that’s a great sign, don’t you think?!

Maverick Moonminer February 19, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Not to throw gas on the fire but as someone who works in video production, signs like the ones posted at the Philly shows must be posted at a public event where video is being recorded for purposes of sale and distribution. This is so no one can come back and sue or demand payment if their likeness is used in the video (not that anyone would, but ya never know). The signs are posted to basically say “we warned you so if you didn’t want to be seen at the show, you should’nt have entered the event”.This doesn’t necessarily mean that they will ultimately release something, but it means they did record it with the possible intention of doing so. There were also several small bodied HD cameras on hand in addition to the usual IMAG cams being used for the projection screens. These cams were not present at the Chicago shows in August. For a video release of this scope where you could conceivably have footage from 4 shows, it would take at least 5 to 6 months to edit together and ready for release. Especially if they are doing Blu-Ray which would likely have tons of bonus features. My guess is, we will see something right around the time they announce more 2010 shows to drum up as much publicity as possible. Also might be ironing out details of distribution as well. This stuff takes time people.

Dillsnufus February 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm

i saw the sign on the door too. also eddie said during the concert “it’s not like we’re filming this” (sarcastically) i believe between a song in their ummm sit down part.*when eddie was making fun of mike) so yea they definitely filmed the last show.

Farry Aprianto February 24, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Phew! I thought it was EVA Longoria…

Last Spectrum concert March 6, 2010 at 4:04 am

I saw a rumor from a company bidding on Philly DVD, below was the official PJ post on the Philly bootleg shows.

Re: *** Philadelphia 4 Fanviews Here 10/31/09 ***
by walknthecow » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Bootleg Update.

For those of you thinking Philly will becoming before the end of the year. They ain’t. Can’t really provide any more info than they will be released and that they are being worked on, things are still getting sorted out with them. As I always say patience will be rewarded.

We are going to start working on the BOX set to house all these in early 2010 so that should be coming soon as well if that gets the thumbs up to move forward.

We appreciate your support of this series of releases and we hope it has been a good experience for you. We wish all of you a happy holidays and this will most likely be the last update from us for a couple weeks.

Susan March 17, 2010 at 5:59 am

Excellent Article!

If I could write like this I would be well chuffed ;-)

The more I read articles of such quality as this (which is rare), the more I think there might be a future for the Web. Keep it up, as it were.

Debroah Tabatabai April 16, 2010 at 9:25 am

Have you ever in your life attended a wedding party and have felt sorry for the groom simply because he harvested the most significant loser friend to be the best man. It happened to me, we went a very elegant wedding ceremony and the Best Man’s speech was so inadequate that it was frightening that this dude was the groom’s best friend. Once they found the best man, he got up to the mic and provided this speech: “This couple, Bill and Monica are great and I hope their life is filled with fulfillment and all those things that make a marriage great.” This is what you will get when you don’t prepare a speech. When I got married couple of years later I didn’t want my best man to be the topic of gossip for years into the future so I sent him this guide http://www.bestmanspeech.largestnetwork.com on how to write a best man speech. It relieved the hassle and his speech was incredible, hilarious and poignant.