1990: The Making of Pearl Jam [A TFT Mini-Book]

by Jessica Letkemann on October 18, 2010

[ Click To Read "Music for Rhinos" ]

To read Music for Rhinos , you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer.

To download Music for Rhinos , right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac) on the cover above and choose “Save Target As…” (Internet Explorer) or “Save Link As…” (Firefox).

If you have problems viewing Music for Rhinos , see Adobe’s support site or contact us.

There is so much more to the story of how Pearl Jam formed than has ever been shared.

To uncover it, I interviewed Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, Matt Cameron, Chris Cornell and other key players, I dug up original 1990 Pearl Jam artifacts and hunted down rare audio, I triangulated dates and gathered every fact.

To celebrate Pearl Jam’s 20th Birthday, I’m proud to present the fruits of over 10 years of exhaustive original research.

Brew a pot of coffee, fire up your printer, and prepare for a long, engrossing read in unprecedented detail about the events of 1990, the year that a series of magically wild coincidences brought together the unlikely group of people that became Pearl Jam.

Highlights

Discover the amazing events of 1990

• Ed’s long-lost band with a member of Rage Against The Machine
  • The Mother Love Bone riffs that survived to become Pearl Jam classics
  • Eddie explains making “Momma-Son”
  • The true story of Ed’s TWO “first weeks” in Seattle with Mookie Blaylock in October 1990
  • Cornell talks Temple of the Dog, and Stone divulges the Pearl Jam fan-favorite that almost had lyrics by Cornell
  • Stone, Jeff, and Eddie recalling the first show, first song, and first weeks
  • Much, much more

Get Your Free Print Copy

Sure, you can print and read the whole PDF above. But here at TwoFeetThick.com, our print fanzine roots run deep. So if you would like a magazine-style limited edition version of my opus, “Music For Rhinos – 1990: The Making of Pearl Jam,” we will gladly send out free copies to the first 50 fans who ask.

For a printed copy, Contact us with “Music For Rhinos” in the subject, and be sure to include your mailing address in the message. The offer is now closed. The response has been amazing. We got 50 requests for the print version in the first HOUR after posting this, and they have flooded in by the hundreds since then. So by popular demand, we’ll be sending out print copies to the first 300 of you who requested them. We’ll send an email when it’s on its way to you. Thank you everyone for reading! -Jessica

UPDATE 11/10/2010: The first batch of the print copies are in the mail to those who requested them. I am emailing each person right after I mail each one, so you will know yours is coming. I will be sending more batches in the coming days so stay tuned and thanks again. -Jessica

Jessica Letkemann ( Twitter: @Letkemann )
TFT co-editor Jessica Letkemann is a New York based music journalist who is currently the managing editor of Billboard.com. She has been previously been on staff at Spin and Premiere magazines. Her first Pearl Jam show was at Lollapalooza on August 2, 1992.

{ 100 comments… read them below or add one }

Manav Parekh October 23, 2010 at 6:30 am

Would love a printed copy. Where should I mail my address?

Steve October 24, 2010 at 7:19 am

this is incredible. thank you very much for putting your time and effort into this. it is very much appreciated. you rock!!!

Philip October 25, 2010 at 3:19 am

Ok You Rock. That book is cool. and it rocks to see someone sooo into Peal Jam. Not enough people down this way into them like I am.

Rebecca October 27, 2010 at 2:59 am

Is the free copy still available? Would love one :)

Dustin M Pardue October 27, 2010 at 4:55 am

Thanks for the free pdf! Can’t wait to read this.

Rafael Cordero October 27, 2010 at 8:22 am

If you have one copy to spare … ? Would really love one!

Greg B October 29, 2010 at 12:31 am

Probably too late, but I would love a copy! Congrats on completing this project!

Boyd November 1, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Would love a magazine if any left.

Robbyn November 2, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Is it too late to request one for my library?

Albert November 3, 2010 at 11:29 am

I hadn’t checked the site in a couple of weeks? Any magazines left? I would love a copy.

Thanks!

Angel Bigelow November 6, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Excellent reading!! Would love love love a magazine copy!!

mark b November 12, 2010 at 7:09 pm

thanks for the update! i guess i wasn’t in the top 50, but my fingers are still crossed that i’m under 300. :) it’s really awesome work. kudos.

T.J. November 14, 2010 at 10:22 am

Well done – cheers for taking the time & expending the effort to put this together for us all Jessica!!!

Ibby November 15, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Jessica- thank you than you thank YOU! i hope that i’m one of the lucky 300 or below….if not, that’s what I get for not checking TFT every day… what an awesome gift to the fans. i’m psyched to read it either way.

YoullseeDragons November 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Jessica-I got my print copy in the mail. THANK YOU! I had to read it again, I think it was better the 2nd time. GREAT JOB!

Violetpsyche November 18, 2010 at 5:30 am

I couldn’t stop reading this, even though trying to do so on a mini netbook whilst wrangling a cross toddler made that a bit of a challenge. I am astounded at the work that’s gone into this and truly impressed that this is something you are offering us fans for free – how likely is that these days? This seems a much better written and more thoroughly researched piece than anything that’s been produced (for sale, no less) before. If I wore a hat, I would take it off to you.

guypjfreak November 18, 2010 at 6:21 am

im not sure if im to late but i would really appreciate a copy of this thank you so much .
guy

carl lore November 18, 2010 at 6:44 am

i’m sure i missed out on this. but i woulda loved one of those

Lov2rok2pj November 18, 2010 at 4:17 pm

If you have any that fell between the seat cushions,I missed out on the first 50,so never
left any info,because I thought it was over. Should have left my info back then,anyway.

Ryan November 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm

!!!! FAnTAstIc JoB, Jessica Letkemann !!!

I finally got to sit down and read this Saturday night. Really a great read. It filled out the story we’ve always known with so much more color and depth. I watched a 92 video later on and, truly, I had a better understanding of the guys on stage and their stories. I enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks!

and for those who didn’t get a mail copy, dont worry… just follow the print out instructions and diy! it will be just as great an experiance..

ridley November 23, 2010 at 4:41 pm

@Ryan, where are these print out instructions of which you speak?

Yuri December 10, 2010 at 4:46 am

Very cool to read all of this! I love the fact that Mother Love Bone played an early version of Alive! I hope those recordings turn up sometime! Thanks for the wonderful research!

I have started a little blog myself some time ago, that I need to pick up again. It deals mainly with the early Pearl Jam days as well. I intend to work it all out eventually,edit it, and put it on a pearl jam named blogsite.

Dan Williams December 21, 2010 at 8:31 pm

What happened to the first 20 or so people who requested a print copy after emailing you guys when you were on the AET radio show? I emailed you immediately but never got a response :(

John Reynolds December 22, 2010 at 2:26 pm

@Dan … Jessica’s going through them. She’s sent out 200 already and we’ve gotten 500+ responses

keitherMAN January 9, 2011 at 2:41 am

Shoot…sounds like I’m too late…but would be willing to pay some $$$ if need be…cheers…k

connecticut dumpster rental March 4, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on
how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thank you

как заработать в интернете July 6, 2013 at 9:46 am

This article presents clear idea for the new people of blogging, that
genuinely how to do running a blog.

Isaac February 12, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Wow! I wish I’d noticed this four years ago. I downloaded the pdf, but if anybody had a spare hard copy lying around, it would make my day!

dub rims March 4, 2014 at 7:41 pm

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she retains the thought of a user in his/her mind that how a user can know
it. So that’s why this post is amazing. Thanks!

Kyle March 5, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I am curious to find out what blog platform you’re using?
I’m having some small security issues with my latest blog and I’d like to find something
more secure. Do you have any recommendations?

move to hawaii with nothing March 7, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it
for you? Plz answer back as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from.
appreciate it

argentina marriage record March 7, 2014 at 4:36 pm

No matter if some one searches for his required thing, therefore he/she
needs to be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained over here.

reviews on cheap Car rim March 11, 2014 at 6:21 am

Have you ever considered publishing an e-book or guest authoring
on other blogs? I have a blog based upon on the same information you discuss and
would really like to have you share some stories/information.
I know my readers would value your work. If you’re even remotely
interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

fast speed virtual server March 24, 2014 at 3:58 am

I have fun with, cause I discovered exactly what I used
to be looking for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt!
God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

condom house in nepal March 26, 2014 at 3:25 am

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This piece of
writing posted at this web site is really nice.

mobile games March 28, 2014 at 11:25 am

What’s up to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is getting more
from this site, and your views are nice in support of new visitors.

telecharger snapchat April 21, 2014 at 6:00 am

I all the time used to read piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user of net thus from now I am using net for articles, thanks to web.

chef movie free April 22, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I’m more than happy to uncover this great site. I need to to thank you for your time due to
this fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every part of it and I have you bookmarked
to check out new things in your blog.

watch brick mansions April 30, 2014 at 12:17 pm

This is really attention-grabbing, You are an overly skilled blogger.
I have joined your rss feed and look forward to in search of extra of your great post.
Also, I have shared your site in my social networks

supercars National Geographic May 15, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Hello, I check your blogs daily. Your story-telling style
is awesome, keep doing what you’re doing!

official site May 29, 2014 at 4:31 am

And by default thes are set free server proxy to hourly. Youu ought to right now
realize that they’d have kept a record of your heroine, Sarah Palin. Finding
free server proxy the most effective pieces we have
in the IT industry today. To start uding RAS you need to
allow a fair access to thesse unwanted or unauthorised sites7.
You can use security tools, shch as the ones placed on school computers.

capillus272 tummy tuck before and after June 29, 2014 at 9:38 am

The older you get, the more likely it is that you’ll start to experience thinning and hair loss.
It is important to always make sure that your hair is
well maintained by ensuring that the hair is kept clean. By
observing all the above tips when faced with the problem of hair loss Minneapolis citizens should be able to
contain avoidable hair breakages.

pompano redondo virginia beach plumbers July 21, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Replacing the wax ring is a lot less difficult and expensive
than replacing the toilet, but if you have wanted a new commode, this is your
chance. It’s very vital that you get Plumbing Alameda work made by a specialist.
The body definitely contained a high volume of mucous and yeast.

hcg weight loss wiki July 31, 2014 at 8:10 pm

In addition, you be interested in that the weight
loss doesnt have get complication over your body. The body finally begins to burn abnormal fat and once this takes place,
the dieter will begin to feel weak and hungry until he gives up.
The use of beauty products is one of the everyday regimens of women.

nose job benefits August 11, 2014 at 7:56 pm

The major difference between having a face lift vs.
However it creates a subtle natural-looking result that doesn’t appear too overdone.

Miami won’t need to rely heavily on Lewis, but he’ll increase the team’s
depth and provide yet another scoring option on arguably the
league’s most dangerous offensive team.

capillus272 laser eye August 20, 2014 at 7:06 am

Will the doctor performing blind dissection be able to adequately account
for this variability in the average patient and
will he risk operating on an unwary patient in whom
these differences might be profound. Purchase shampoo or
other hair care products that are meant specifically for people with thinning hair.
Your hair protected the top of the head from the elements.

moving expenses storage costs August 23, 2014 at 10:05 am

You will have to pay to have the utilities turned on, buy groceries, stock up on cleaning supplies and re-key the locks.
The best bet is to ensure that your items are properly packed.
So pick Melbourne movers company that has a physical office with telephone line.

click aqui August 28, 2014 at 2:11 am

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in truth was a enjoyment account it.
Glance complex to far introduced agreeable from
you! By the way, how could we keep in touch?

tan September 19, 2014 at 7:17 pm

s darkened, so be sure to be safe rather than sorry, and
don. You can buy swimsuits in floral and island prints to add more fun to your look at the beach.
Acting as a tan accelerator these lotions are great for achieving the perfect tan.

fad diets September 20, 2014 at 8:23 pm

The B5 Regimen is a treatment plan that utilizes Vitamin B5 to cure acne.

Warrants have been issued for his arrest in Europe and he lives in hiding outside the E.
It is a bit pricey, but is well worth the extra money.